"I will often have eight iso-tracks being recorded and two mixed tracks, so the 788T is being driven hard. It always performs incredibly well."Deian Humphreys, Sound Recordist, Doctor Who
The 788T-SSD: Portable, Eight Input, Twelve-Track Recorder with Timecode
The 788T-SSD is the right choice for demanding production sound applications. With its eight inputs, it is perfect for high track count applications ranging from over-the-shoulder reality-style production to cart-based drama production.
Inputs and Outputs
The 788T-SSD features eight high bandwidth, ultra-low noise microphone preamplifiers. Inputs feature input limiters, input delay, and selectable high-pass filters. It also accept analog line level or AES digital signals.
Six analog and six digital outputs are available on multiple connector types, including TA3, multi-pin, and 3.5 mm.
Routing and Tracks
Any input can be routed to any of 12 recording tracks. This offers iso recording of inputs plus recording a two-channel mix and two aux tracks.
Any record track can be assigned to each of the three recording media. This allows, for instance, a two-mix to be recorded to CompactFlash while isos and a mix can be simultaneously recorded to the internal drive.
File Storage and Transfer
The 788T-SSD has three options for recording media: internal solid-state drive (SSD), CompactFlash card, or external FireWire drive. Any or all of these can be used simultaneously.
It may also be connected to Mac OS or Windows-based computers for high-speed data transfer.
Timecode & Word Clock
With its on-board high-accuracy Ambient timecode generator the 788T-SSD is at home in complex multi-camera sync-sound productions. Use it as the master clock for the most accurate on-set timecode reference. All common timecode frame rates and modes are supported. Word clock I/O can be used for sample-accurate multi-device connection.
The 788T-SSD controls are fast and intuitive with easy to access buttons, scroll wheel, pop out gain and an informative front panel display. It also offers a USB keyboard input for control and metadata editing. The available CL-8 and CL-9 accessories offer dedicated faders and controls for the portable recorder.
Mix Assist “auto-mixes” the post-fade outputs by automatically reducing, or attenuating, the level of microphones that are not active. Mix Assist helps maintain consistent background sound level regardless of the number of open microphones. It reduces comb filtering and phasing when multiple microphones pick up a single sound source. It also increases gain before feedback when the recorder is feeding a sound reinforcement system.
The CL-8 or CL-9 Controllers enhance the 788T System by adding extensive mixing capabilities, whether working in a production bag or on a sound cart. Along with Wave Agent, CL-1, and CL-2 accessories, the 788T System can be customized for any production sound environment.
NOTE: The CL-WiFi hardware and application support was discontinued in October 2015. Please see CL-WiFi iOS Compatibility for more information.
- Each input has solo headphone monitoring, 48 V phantom, limiter, polarity reverse, high-pass, and selectable delay.
- Sampling rate converters for digital inputs.
- Sampling rate selectable up to 192 kHz.
- AES42 digital microphone support.
- Backlit LCD display viewable in any environment.
- 8 x 13-segment Peak/VU meters with arm LED.
- Powered by removable Li-ion rechargeable batteries.
- External DC input powers unit and charges Li-ion battery.
- Multi-pin connector for one-cable connection to digital mixing boards (AES input/output, power, switch closure in/out).
- FireWire 400/800 and USB 2.0 connections for file transfer between 788T's CF and SSD to computer.
- USB keyboard input for control.
- Aluminum & stainless-steel chassis for exceptional durability and light weight.
- Designed for the same operational environmental extremes as Sound Devices field mixers.
With the 788T-SSD
|1||XL-WPH3 power supply|
|1||CS-MAN padded carry case|
|1||USB cable (USB-A to USB-B)|
|1||XL-RJ C-link cable|
|1||XL-B2 Li-Ion battery|
|4||Adhesive Rubber "Bumpers"|
|1||Product registration card|
|1||788T Front Panel Button Shortcuts reference card|
|1||Full-line Audio Catalog|
One-year standard warranty turns into two-years upon registration.
Click Here for more information.