Intel has provided a custom firmware update and Sound Devices is making this update available to address issues identified by Intel with their Intel 520 SSD drive. The drive has the potential to fail, or become unresponsive in certain use cases. This document contains links to the required resources needed to update the firmware on an Intel 520 SSD.
The Intel SATA Solid-State Drive Firmware Update Tool is developed and maintained by Intel. If assistance is required or if a user experiences trouble during the firmware update process, reference Intel’s support documents or contact Intel support directly. While documented here, Sound Devices is unable to provide customer support for the firmware update process. Contact Intel Support here.
Important: Users MUST use the Intel SATA Solid-State Drive Firmware Update Tool provided by Sound Devices below. The Intel SATA Solid-State Drive Firmware Update Tool downloaded from Intel’s website does not contain the custom firmware for Intel 520 drives used in Sound Devices applications. The correct version will display “Version 2.0.8 For Sound Devices” on the top left side of the screen once the update tool is running.
- Intel SATA Solid-State Drive Firmware Update Tool - this zip file contains a custom .iso image developed by Intel to install on a USB memory stick, CD, or DVD. This image contains the firmware installer and the updated firmware file, revision 401i, for the Intel 520.
- Intel SSD Firmware Update Tool User Guide - Complete PDF instructions on updating the firmware.
The Firmware Update Tool is provided above as a ZIP archive with an ISO image inside. Similar to an archive file or a disk image, an ISO image is specifically designed to create bootable CDs, DVDs, or USB drives. You cannot simply copy an ISO image to a blank CD or USB drive. It will appear as a data file and will not work correctly.
The ISO image must be written the to CD or USB drive software and installed onto a blank CD or USB drive. Many tools exist to accomplish this; two are listed below for reference. These applications are NOT created by Sound Devices and are simply referenced for your convenience. Sound Devices does not endorse or warranty the listed applications.Windows
- To create a bootable CD from the ISO provided: ImageBurn
- To create a bootable USB drive from the ISO provided: Rufus
- The Disk Utility in Mac OS (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility) can be used to create bootable media from an ISO image. See section 3.2 in the Intel SSD Firmware Update Tool User Guide (link above) for instructions.
The following overview video shows the upgrade process in the Windows environment once the image is applied to a USB memory stick.