Astral Wireless Guitar System
The Sound Devices Astral Wireless Guitar System is a paradigm-shift in sonic purity and range for the demanding, professional guitarist/bassist. It is designed to replace a premium guitar cable without altering the tone or feel of the sacred guitar/amp interaction.
The Sound Devices Astral Guitar System is comprised of the following products:
- A20-TX Smart Guitar Cable (patent pending)
- A20-TX transmitter
- A20-Nexus 8-channel receiver
- A20-TX Guitar Strap Clip
- Optional ¼" output interface box (available from Link USA)
It is commonly known that guitars, guitar cables, pedals and amps all interact with one another to give a unique character to each rig. It is also well known that replacing the guitar cable with a wireless system can dramatically change this character. Much of this is due to the imperfect nature of many wireless systems, but less well known is that every cable's added capacitance (depending on the type and length of the cable) interacts with a guitar’s pickup. This is why many cables sound different from each other. The input impedance of the amp also will change the character of the guitar’s pickup. These effects range from very subtle to extreme, depending on the type of guitar, pickups, cable(s), pedals and amp(s) in the rig.
Compromising tone and feel to get wireless capability is a thing of the past!
The heart of the Astral Wireless Guitar System is the Smart Guitar Cable. This patent-pending cable houses sophisticated, miniaturized circuitry within the ¼" plug. This circuitry varies the actual capacitance that the guitar’s pickup is loaded with – just like a cable. This capacitance is not a mere “emulation,” but actual, real capacitance implemented with very low-distortion capacitors. The input impedance that the guitar’s pickup drives is also adjustable, allowing the player to recreate the exact feel of the guitar wired to the input of a given amp or pedalboard. This cable feeds the A20-TX transmitter and A20-Nexus receiver, both renowned for their unparalleled sonic quality. Since the Smart Guitar Cable's circuitry is within the 1/4" plug, it also allows for a truly balanced audio connection between the guitar and the transmitter eliminating any noise from that critical connection - without any tone or feel changes.
- Adjustment of cable capacitance from 0 pF to 1500 pF in 25 pF steps. This corresponds to 1 to 60 feet of typical guitar cable in 1-foot steps.
- Selectable input impedance of 100k, 1M, and 10M ohms, allowing the guitar's pickup to "see" the same input characteristics as the amplifier.
- An incredible 18V of signal headroom at ¼" plug – no unwanted distortion, offering a huge 140dB of dynamic range with any guitar or bass, even super-hot humbuckers and active pickups.
- Ultra low latency of 1.9ms for excellent feel - especially important for in-ears.
- Adjustment of these parameters from the A20-TX transmitter or remotely from the A20-Nexus receiver.
- 0 dB gain from ¼" input to ¼" output, just like a cable - the amplifier or pedalboard sees your guitar's output exactly.
- Balanced output from ¼" guitar plug to transmitter input, for the ultimate in noise-rejection without tone or feel changes.
- Two-sided, secure guitar strap clips that prevent the transmitter from loosening or falling off the guitar strap.
- 100% digital modulation, with full 10 Hz – 20 kHz audio bandwidth and ultra-wide 140dB dynamic range.
- Ultra-low-noise circuitry – keeps the signal clean even at the highest gain settings.
- Unrivaled RF range and RF tuning bandwidth (169 MHz – 1525 MHz). The same transmitters and receivers can be used in any country around the world.
- Optional ¼" output interface box with Lundahl isolation transformers, Iso and Direct modes, and ground-lift per channel.