We, Sound Devices, LLC, use your personal data to provide our audio, video, and wireless products and services to you, under the Sound Devices brand or through Audio Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sound Devices, LLC.
Who is responsible for your data?
For purposes of European data protection laws, Sound Devices, LLC is the data controller of the data which we collect from you, and as such we are responsible for your data, and control the ways your personal data are collected, and the purposes for which your personal data are used. Our address is: E7556 State Road 23/33 Reedsburg, WI 53959.
What personal data do we collect about you?
Depending on how you use the Website and other services, we might collect the following kinds of information directly from you when you provide it to us and automatically when you use or access the Website and related services:
Your name and contact details (name, e-mail address, postal address, telephone number). Whenever you:
- Register a Sound Devices, Video Devices, or Audio Limited product with us
- Fill in forms on our Website (i.e. for a Support Request or Repair Request)
- Contact our support team
- Opt in to receiving messages from us
- Enter a marketing competition
- Create an optional customer account on our online store or service portal
- Purchase products and services from us
Information about you, your location and how you use our Website (including IP address, records of purchases, and information on your interactions with the Website). Whenever you:
- Use our digital systems and services
- Accept our cookies placed on your devices
- Open our marketing e-mails
- Click on our banner/social media adverts
- Fill in forms on our Website
- Get in touch with us
- Respond to our requests for feedback
- Opt in to receiving messages from us
Your payment information (including credit card information, other payment information, security code and billing/shipping address), whenever you:
- Create an optional customer account on our Online Store or Service Portal, and elect to save your payment information
- Purchase products and services from us
Sound Devices’ Website automatically collects your geolocation and IP address from your web browser in order to better match you with our international resellers, direct support inquiries, collect certain details of your access to and use of the Website, and to automate country selection on web forms that request country info. Sound Devices does not: (i) save or store your IP address; or (ii) sell your IP address or any other personal information to any databases or third party entities.
How do we use your personal data?
The Data Protection Act 2018, as supplemented by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), describes how organizations — including Sound Devices, LLC— must collect, handle, and store personal information. These rules apply regardless of whether data is stored electronically, on paper, or on other materials. To comply with the law, personal information must be collected and used fairly, stored safely, and not disclosed unlawfully.
According to the law, Sound Devices, LLC can only use your personal data if we have a proper reason for doing so, such as:
- To fulfill a contract we have with you (i.e. warranties and customer support)
- If we have a legal duty to use your data for a particular reason
- When you consent to its use
- When it is in our legitimate interests
Countries take a different approach to the use by companies of legitimate interests as a reason for processing personal data. We are aware of those different approaches in the countries in which we operate. We take that into account and respect those differences when we process your personal data.
Our reasons for using your personal data include:
- To provide top-notch services to you
- To provide the products and services you request
- To communicate with you and manage our relationship with you
- To personalize and improve your customer experience
- To inform you about our news, firmware updates, and product offers that we think might interest you
- To respond to complaints and to seek to resolve them
- To test and improve our products and offerings
- To manage how we work/partner with other companies that also provide goods and services to us and our customers
- To run our business in an efficient and proper way
- To fulfill our administrative purposes including accounting, billing and audit
- To protect our business interests
- To develop and manage our brands, products, and services
Our legitimate interests include:
- Keeping our records up to date
- Developing products and/or services and what we charge for them
- Being efficient about how we fulfill our contracts, provide our services, and discharge our legal duties
- Identifying ways to improve the way we deliver products and services to our customers
- Identifying or defining types of customers for new products
How can you manage any marketing messages received from us?
Sound Devices, LLC occasionally sends out emails related to new product offerings, firmware updates, and company news. You may elect to receive these messages by opting in on our communication preferences form, by checking the opt-in box when using a form on our Website, by requesting an opt-in through our support team, or by scanning your name tag at a trade show or event.
The opt-in checkbox will be displayed to you on our forms if you have not opted-in to our emails. If you decide you no longer want to receive our emails, you may opt-out at any time using one of the two methods below.
You may change your communication preferences at any time by:
How long do we keep your data?
We keep your data until you contact us and tell us to modify or delete it from our servers or until we determine that maintaining your data is no longer necessary to provide you with our products and services, for our own legitimate interests (described above) or so that we can comply with the law. We will actively review the information we hold and when there is no longer a customer, legal or business need for us to hold it, we will either delete it securely or in some cases anonymize it.
How do we protect your data?
We protect your personal data against unauthorised access, unlawful use, accidental loss, corruption and destruction.
We use technical measures such as encryption and password protection to protect your data and the third-party systems in which they are held. We also use operational measures to protect the data—for example: by limiting the number of people who have access to the databases in which our registered users’ information is held.
We keep these security measures under review and refer to industry security standards to keep up to date with current best practices. However, since no method of Internet transmission is 100% secure, we cannot guarantee, ensure or warrant the security of any personal information you transmit to us.
How do we share and track your data?
However, for specified reasons, we do share some of your personal data with, or obtain personal data from, the following categories of third parties:
Your credit and debit card information: In order to process payments and prevent and detect fraud, we process payment card data through our payment card and fraud management services providers.
Suppliers who provide marketing services to us: We sometimes share your data—with your consent— with other companies that provide marketing services. For example, if you have given us authorization to use information about (or images of) you and your gear in an online article and/or for promotional purposes, then that personal data may be shared with publishers of trade magazines, through online websites/services (i.e. YouTube), in marketing materials, and with the companies we use to approach you for marketing, research and feedback purposes as they relate to our product offerings and services.
Other third party service providers: We may also disclose your data to other third party service providers, including, but not limited to, resellers, distributors and common carriers to help us process orders, deliver products, and otherwise assist us in running our business.
Government authorities such as border control and law enforcement: We sometimes have to provide your personal data to government authorities, such as customs officials, to ensure that you receive product/services or to meet our legal and regulatory obligations.
Affiliates: We may share data or other information with our subsidiaries, divisions, and affiliates.
Where required or permitted by law, such as in conjunction with a subpoena, government inquiry, litigation, dispute resolution, or similar legal process, when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect your rights, your safety, or the safety of others, to detect, investigate and prevent fraud, or to conduct screening to ensure you are not on any government list of restricted parties.
You do not have to accept cookies, but without accepting them you may experience reduced Site functionality.
The performance cookies we use are provided by third parties, though we retain control over how your cookies data is used. The following Performance cookies are used on our site:
- Manage cookies in Google Chrome
- Manage cookies in Mozilla Firefox
- Manage cookies in Apple Safari
- Manage cookies in Microsoft Edge
Google utilizes IP address information to evaluate your use of our Site, compile reports on website activity and to provide further services related to our Site. The IP address transferred through your browser to Google Analytics will not be combined with other data held by Google. In addition, our Site uses the Analytics feature UserID to track interaction data. This User ID will be additionally anonymized and encrypted and will not be linked with other data. You can prevent the storage of cookies by changing your browser software settings; however, if you do this, you may not be able to use all the features of our Site to the fullest extent possible.
The information from Google Analytics helps us learn things such as what pages are more attractive to our visitors, which of our products most interest our customers, and the kind of offers our customers like to see. To opt out, go to: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Other Cookies, Web Beacons, Pixels and other Tracking Technologies
Third parties, including Facebook, may obtain information, including personal information and/or certain information related to your orders, through cookies, web beacons, embedded scripts and similar technologies (“Tracking Technologies”) from, through, and on our Website, as well as from other websites and applications. We, as well as these third parties, may use that information to provide measurement services, target ads and provide similar services. For information on how you can opt-out of the collection and/or use of information for ad targeting from certain organizations, please see http://www.aboutads.info/choices and/or http://www.youronlinechoices.eu/.
We use information collected by and through Tracking Technologies to tailor and improve content, advertisements and products, as well as for the purposes described above in How do we use your personal data?
Third-Party Services, Applications and Websites
Customers on the Sound Devices Online Store have the option to create an account and save a payment method. Your payment information, such as your credit card number, is stored and encrypted by our bank, and not saved directly to our servers. If you wish to delete your account, you may request your account’s deletion and the deletion of the token that retrieves your credit card number by contacting Sound Devices Support at [email protected] or 1-800-505-0625.
Sound Devices offers an optional service portal where customers can speed up a repair request by entering personal data and pre-approving a charge to the payment method provided by the customer to us through the portal. You must agree to be contacted about your repair request. When first using the service portal, you must create an account that stores your first name, last name, email address and your preferred payment method. Your payment information, such as your credit card number, is stored and encrypted by our bank, and not saved directly to our servers. If, at the end of a repair request, you do not want your personal data stored on the service portal any longer or your credit card number stored by our bank, you may request your account’s deletion and the deletion of the token that retrieves your credit card number by contacting Sound Devices Support at [email protected] or 1-800-505-0625.
Sending data outside of the European Economic Area
Except as set forth in the “Processing in the United States” section below, we will only send data outside of the European Economic Area (‘EEA’) to work with our agents and advisers who we use to deliver services to you or to comply with a legal duty. If we do transfer data outside the EEA, we will make sure that it is protected in the same way as if it were being used in the EEA. We will use one of the following safeguards to ensure that it is protected:
- Transfer the data to a non-EEA country which has privacy laws at least as protective as those within the EEA, or
- Put in place a contract with the recipient of the data which means the recipient must protect the data to the same standards as required within the EEA.
What are your rights?
If you reside in certain territories, including the EU, you have the following rights in relation to your personal information:
- Access. You are entitled to access and receive copies of all personal information held by us about you. You can gain access to and receive such copies by contacting us via one of the contact methods listed below.
- Correct, restrict or delete. You are also entitled to correct or delete your personal information. You can also limit, restrict or object to the processing of your data. Please note that even if you request we delete your personal information, we may need not comply with such request in certain circumstances (e.g., to comply with a legal obligation). To make such a request, please contact us using one of the methods provided below.
- Object. You can object to our use of your data where we rely on our legitimate interests to do so. We explained the legitimate interests on which we rely above under the heading ‘How do we use your personal data?’ To raise any objections or to exercise any of your rights, you can send an email to us at [email protected] or you can write to us at ATTN: Data Protection, Sound Devices, LLC, E7556 State Road 23/33 Reedsburg, WI 53959.
- Complain. In addition to contacting us directly about your complaints (as provided below), if you live in the EU and wish to raise a concern about Sound Devices, LLC’s use of your personal information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have a right to do so with your local data protection authority.
If you gave us your consent to use your data (e.g., so that we can send you marketing emails), you can withdraw your consent. Information about how to stop receiving marketing communications is explained under the heading ‘How can you manage any marketing messages received from us?’
Please note that even if you withdraw your consent, we can still rely on the consent you gave as the lawful basis for processing your data before you withdrew your consent.
When you get in touch, we will respond to you as soon as possible and where possible within one month. If your request is more complicated, it may take a little longer to reply to you, but we will respond within two months of your request. There is no charge for most requests, but if you ask us to provide a significant amount of data for example, we may ask you to pay a reasonable admin fee. You may also be required to verify your identity before we can provide any information to you.
Processing in the United States
How do we protect children’s privacy?
The products and services available on our Website are not directed to nor intended for use by children under 13 years of age. We do not knowingly collect personal data from children under 13. No one under age 13 may use the products or services. If you are under age 13 years of age, do not use or provide any personal data to, on, or through the Website. If we learn we have collected or received personal data from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us as set forth below.
If you have any complaints concerning our processing of your personal data, please email us at [email protected] or you can write to us at ATTN: Data Protection, Sound Devices, LLC, E7556 State Road 23/33 Reedsburg, WI 53959.
Please note that you have the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority which is responsible for the protection of personal data in the country where you live or work, or in which you think a breach of data protection laws might have taken place.
Customers in the European Union can contact the European Data Protection Supervisor by telephone on + 32 2 28 319 00, or by email to [email protected] More information can be found at http://www.edps.europa.eu/EDPSWEB.
Customers in Germany can contact the Commissioner for Data Protection and Freedom of Information of Berlin (“Berliner Beauftragte für Datenschutz und Informationsfreiheit”) by telephone on +49-(0)30-13 889-0, or by email to . More information can be found at https://www.datenschutz-berlin.de/.
Customers in the UK can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office by telephone on 0303 123 1113, or by using the live chat service which is available through the Information Commissioner’s website www.ico.org.uk.
Customers in France can contact the Commission Nationale de l’Informatique et des Libertés by telephone on +33 (0)188.8.131.52.22 or by writing to the Commission at 3 Place de Fontenoy, TSA 80715, 75334 PARIS CEDEX 07, France.
Customers in Belgium can contact the Commission de la protection de la vie privée by telephone on +32 (0)2 274 48 00 or by using the online contact form available through the Commission’s website at www.privacycommission.be.
Customers in the Netherlands can contact the Autoriteit Persoonsgegevens by telephone on (+31) – (0)70 – 888 85 00 or by writing to the Autoriteit Persoonsgegevens at Postbus 93374, 2509 AJ DEN HAAG.
You can email us anytime at [email protected] or write to or call us at: 1-800-505-0625
ATTN: Data Protection
Sound Devices, LLC
E7556 State Road 23/33
Reedsburg, WI 53959.