MixPre-3 II & MixPre-6 II Powering Options
The MixPre-3 II and MixPre-6 II have been designed to provide flexibility in powering. Here are some recommended powering options:
- 4 x AA batteries (with MX-4AA battery sled) or 8 x AA batteries (with optional MX-8AA battery sled). NiMH rechargeable or Lithium primary AA’s are recommended. Alkaline batteries will provide the shortest run times in most digital electronics.
- 1 or 2 L-Mount Lithium-Ion batteries with optional MX-LMount battery sled.
- 1 L-Mount Lithium-Ion batteries with optional MX-LM1 battery sled.
- USB-C port via included MX-PSU AC power wall adapter. (This accessory was formerly called MX-Charge.)
- USB-C port via MX-USBY cable and a computer with 2 USB-A ports.
- USB-C port via a compatible USB-C to USB-C cable and a computer with a USB-C port.
- External DC power source via adapter with a 4-pin Hirose connector with optional MX-HIROSE.
- External DC power source via adapter with a 4-pin Hirose connector.
See Cable Techniques’ MX-Powersled adapter.
- Single MDV fitting plate for use with 1 Sony NPF series battery.
See Hawkwoods’ SD-2 adapter.
- External DC power source via adapter with a 4-pin Hirose connector (10-20v input).
See Hawkwoods’ SD-1 adapter.
- D-Tap to L-mount adapter for use with the optional MX-LMount battery sled.
See Hawkwoods’ LR-08 adapter.
- Hirose to L-mount adapter for use with the optional MX-LMount battery sled.
See Hawkwoods’ LR-06 adapter.
- A USB-C powerbank which meets the below USB power specifications.
To fully power the MixPre-3 II or MixPre-6 II from a USB power source not listed above, you will need BOTH of the following:
- USB-C power source that is compliant with the USB powering specification and is able to output 7.5W
- USB-C cable that incorporates the correct pull-up resistors to identify itself as able to provide 7.5W
If either of these conditions are not met, the MixPre recorder will operate in low power mode: maximum 2x 48v phantom channels, no HDMI, no USB-A. You can still use all of the MixPre’s channels, but only a maximum of 2 can be phantom powered.
NOTE: A USB-A power source used in conjunction with a USB-A to USB-C cable cannot deliver the required 7.5W for full power operation.
Due to the complex nature of the USB-C specifications for powering requirements, Sound Devices cannot make recommendations for USB-C power supplies, batteries or cabling other than our purpose-designed accessories. We have no control over other manufacturer’s products and their (non-)compliance with the published USB-C specifications.
These powering options also apply to the legacy MixPre-3 and MixPre-6.